Monday, April 20, 2009

Potty Training Day 5

Whoever said this was easy! I went into this venture well prepared & ready for anything. But my child is NOT the norm or anywhere near it. I just don't know what to do. The first day was fine, we camped out on the potty off & on all day & she watched her potty videos & went in the potty because she didn't know any different. The next day she started holding it because she didn't want to go in the potty. She would hold it all day until she was screaming & crying. She throws horrible fits! So I tried not to push the potty & just let her go when she has to go & deal with the messes. But she won't go pee pee! She just holds it! She's so scared to go! Yesterday I held her down on the potty until she went. And when she did, she filled the little bowl. She was so happy after it happened. We keep encouraging her & praising her. But today she still wants to hold it. She didn't go pee pee all day until 4:30pm. And then I had to hold her on the potty until she went. At this point I don't want to continue this way but I don't want to just throw a diaper on her & say forget it for now. I'm taking a step back to re-evaluate. How come you never read about potty training horror stories on the internet or from friends? Suggestions welcome.

1 comment:

Shadley said...

I think you are doing the right thing. She may just be scared and it is ok to help her understand there's nothing to be afraid of. I really would not go back to the diapers if I were you. That reinforces that there is something wrong with the potty. I would just keep plugging away. It took Eden a good two weeks before she would feel comfortable. ANd even a month later there were times she held it and I had to really make her go.